- Allow enterprise and optional units by type for dry beans and dry peas, preventing a gain on one type of crop from impacting an indemnity for a loss on another type. Enterprise units by type allow a producer to insure all acres of a type in a county as one unit, as opposed to basic and optional units which may base insurance on a portion of the acreage. Enterprise units are attractive to producers due to additional premium discounts provided given risk is diversified across the county.
- Also, allow enterprise and optional units for dry beans to be insured by written agreement, which is consistent with current provisions for dry peas.
- Clarify that if no insurable fall planted acreage exists, the later spring sales closing date would apply in counties that have offers for both the fall and spring-planted types.
- The lingering impact of COVID and the desire for shelf stable healthy food.
- Increasing popularity of plant slant and plant based diets.
- A desire to eat foods that are sustainably produced.
- A growing interest in bean ingredients such as flours.
- An optimistic outlook regarding the resolution of long standing tariff disputes that have limited U.S. dry bean exports to certain markets.
- The lack of harmonization and missing global tolerances for pesticides (MRLs), ongoing retaliatory tariffs in critical markets.
- Lack of compliance with existing trade agreements that allow zero duty.
- Zero quota imports of U.S. dry beans.
- The need to produce evidence of the U.S. dry bean industry’s sustainable farming practices.
Northarvest Bean Grower – Our Mission:
NHBGA, growers representing growers through the check-off system, is North America’s largest supplier of quality dry beans. Working together to better the industry through promotion, research, market development, education of consumers and monitoring of governmental policy. Our future goals must be continued market exposure and careful monitoring of new ideas, consumer choices, and producer needs.
50072 E. Lake Seven Road, Frazee, MN 56544