February 10 is World Pulses Day, which celebrates pulses around the globe. As one of the most sustainable, nutritious and affordable foods worldwide, beans figure prominently in nearly all cultures. The U.S. Dry Bean Council has launched their World Pulses Day activities. Learn more here. Stay connected during the celebration by using #WorldPulsesDay and #LovePulses.
The 2019 U.S.-Mexico International Bean Congress was held February 7-9 in Cancun, Mexico. During the event, seminars, discussions and one-on-one business meetings were held.
The U.S. dry bean industry was able to gather with the Mexican trade to celebrate numerous concurrent events such as:
- The signing of the U.S. Mexico Canada Trade Agreement (USMCA)
- World Pulses Day
- The long standing partnership with Mexican buyers
This year’s attendance was high with over 150 buyers, traders and industry representatives present. During the seminar portion of the Congress, speakers discussed World Pulses Day, new trends with beans and bean-based ingredients, U.S. and Mexico bean production trends and an overview of the Mexican political panorama.
Joe Mauch, Kevin Regan, Tom Kennelly and Tim Courneya represented the Northarvest Bean Growers Association the this year’s Congress.
February 10 is World Pulses Day, which celebrates pulses around the globe. As one of the most sustainable, nutritious and affordable foods worldwide, beans figure prominently in nearly all cultures.
Celebrate World Pulses Day by adding some quick global flavor to a pot of beans.
- Pair great northern beans with pasta, garlic, onions and tomatoes in a savory broth for a taste of Italy.
- Make Mexican tacos or tostadas with refried black beans
- Kidney beans were first cultivated in Peru, so cook them in a stew with other traditional foods like potatoes, chili peppers, and red onions.
- Celebrate traditional British bean cuisine by having baked beans on toast for breakfast
- Puree white beans with berbere, an essential Ethiopian spice that contains chili powder, fenugreek, fenugreek, ginger, garlic, cardamom, and cinnamon.
Northarvest Bean Grower – Our Mission:
NHBGA, growers representing growers through the check-off system, is North America’s largest supplier of quality dry beans. Working together to better the industry through promotion, research, market development, education of consumers and monitoring of governmental policy. Our future goals must be continued market exposure and careful monitoring of new ideas, consumer choices, and producer needs.
50072 E. Lake Seven Road, Frazee, MN 56544